Schedule Questions and Electives
Thank you for a great grand opening. We can’t wait to meet your students this week. Students will start the day in advisory and receive their schedules. However, we are already seeing some areas of confusion. Please see below for information.
Please look in your child’s planner for the schedule change request form. Schedule changes are organized through advisory and through grade level counselors. Schedule changes will only occur for mistakes in appropriate levels of math, LA/SS, music, science, and world language.
8th Grade Social Studies
Due to the change in the 8th grade scope and sequence for social studies, the course codes that appear on your student’s schedule do not reflect the course content. All 8th graders are taking a year -long US History course. Washington State history will be embedded for those students who have not yet earned Washington State History credit, but this is not a repeat of Washington State History. Course codes will be changed when the system approves new coding.
Electives are not guaranteed. We have done our best to create a schedule that honors student elective choices. This means that we offer many levels of world language and music. However there are limited spots in electives such as technology and art. PE waivers are available for students who are taking two year- long electives, such as music and world language. Unless students are enrolled in both music and world language, then Physical Education will be a class that students take. Art, technology, and leadership are not year- long classes. Students taking these classes will most likely also have a semester of Physical Education.
Picture Day: September 9. Look in the first day packets for information.
Curriculum Night: Tuesday, September 23. 6:30- 9pm. This is a chance to meet all your students’ teachers and learn about the course expectations.
Dear JAMS Families-
With letters from Seattle Public Schools Transportation Department arriving last week, we have heard from a number of parents that their student either didn't receive bus service at all; their student has an unsafe walk route (no sidewalks, crosswalks, traffic lights); and/or the Metro routes from their home are very limited.
We take our students' safety very seriously and to that end, Principal Montgomery has outlined the following updates:
- Families should email SPS Transportation and Transportation Manager Michelle Drorbaugh (email@example.com) directly with specific information for their child who lives in the 1.5-1.9 area (the area currently served by ORCA cards).
- Michelle’s team is attempting to get these students spaces on nearby buses. We have heard that students are slowly getting spaces on yellow buses, so please be patient.
- Assistant Superintendent McEvoy will come to JAMS the week after we meet on September 10 with City of Seattle in order to give updates, hear any ongoing issues, and discuss further next steps.
- Please help us by following the recommended drop off areas as outlined in the attached traffic flow handout for the first few days of school. We have heard that quite a few families are going to drive kids to school and perhaps honk in protest. Please remember that at the school level we can only relay this information to the transportation department. We are working hard to address these systematic issues, but please let’s keep the first day of school as calm as we can.
In addition, the PTSA is working with the City of Seattle to update crosswalks under their Safe Routes to Schools Program as well as working on advocating with the school district to update transportation options for our students.
Principal Montgomery wants to thank families for all of their help on these issues and their willingness to work collaboratively and proactively for ALL of our students. It speaks volumes about the community of parents that is developing at Jane Addams Middle School.
The teachers and staff at JAMS are very excited to welcome your students to school on Wednesday.
Since JAMS will be under construction until the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony (September 2nd), student orientation will be the first two days of school.
Those two days at JAMS will be slightly different than normal to allow students to get their schedules, planners, lockers, lunch codes–and all of the other items that they need to know to navigate their way through middle school.
The orientation schedule will look like this for Wednesday and Thursday:
Schedule (1st Lunch) Schedule (2nd Lunch)
Advisory (7:50 AM – 9:00 AM) Advisory (7:50 AM – 9:00 AM)
Period 1/2 (9:05 AM – 10:15 AM) Period 1/2 (9:05 AM – 10:15 AM)
Period 3/4 (10:20 AM – 11:30 AM) Period 3/4 (10:20 AM – 11:30 AM)
Lunch (11:35 AM – 12:05 PM) Advisory (11:35 AM – 12:30 PM)
Advisory (12:10 PM – 1:05 PM) Lunch (12:35 PM – 1:05 PM)
Period 5/6 (1:10 PM – 2:20 PM) Period 5/6 (1:10 PM – 2:20 PM)
What will be covered during Advisory these two days?
- Student Schedules and Planners will be distributed
- Lunch Codes
- Lockers – where they are and practice the combinations
- Assembly about athletics and after school options
- Student Handbook review
- First Day Packet distribution
- Q & A
Jane Addams MS Office/Building Hours
Office and Building Hours
M – F
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
(except for occasional holiday’s)
Entrance is on the Northeast side of the building on 34th NE Street. Please call the school if your are unable to enter during office hours.
Due to construction - Entering from the backside of the building is off limits until further notice.
THE OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 22, 2014
Jane Addams After School Program
Jane Addams After School: Fall 2014
Reserve your space!
Paper registration forms are attached. Complete these forms and return to us by mail, fax or in person (details below).
· To reserve your space online, click here.
· To reserve your space by mail, enclose full payment by check, VISA, Mastercard, Discover or American Express to University Family YMCA at 5003 12th Ave. NE, Seattle, WA 98105.
· To reserve your space by fax, send to the fax 206-524-8613
· To reserve your space in person, come in to the University Family Y and register.
We’re sorry, but no phone reservations are accepted. If you have questions, please call us at 206-524-1400 or email the Program Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for registering! Enjoy!
Volunteering at Jane Addams Middle School
Volunteering is one of the many things that makes a school great. Do you want to volunteer this year? If so, please read the following SPS policy
and complete all of the following forms before volunteering.
Please submit all completed forms to the main office. Thank you.
Jane Adams Middle School Student General Supply List
One 3" heavy duty three-ring notebook
Notebook dividers (6 tab minimum)
Pencil Pouch that fits inside binder
Writing supplies (no Sharpies allowed):
- one dozen sharpened/mechanical pencils
- 10 pens (6 black/blue ink, 2 red, 2 green)
- 3 highlighters (yellow, green, pink)
- Colored pencils
- Pencil sharpener with receptacle
- Loose leaf notebook paper (lined, college ruled)
- Flash (thumb) drive
- ruler with both standard and metric measurements
- 3 composition notebooks, 80-100 pages (college ruled)
- 4" graph/quad paper composition books
- Basic Scientific Calculator for students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade math
- Texas Instruments TI-84 graphic calculator (for students in Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra 2)
Donations of any of these supplies are greatly appreciated and can be dropped off in the Main Office. Thank you.
Jane Addams Middle School Staff Members
We are continuing to hire the best! Please see below for an up to date list of the fabulous Jane Addams Middle School Staff. More great educators will be added soon! Last updated 8/15/14
Jane Addams Middle School Information Night
May 28, 6:30-8pm
Please join us on May 28 to meet teachers, staff, and to learn about plans for Jane Addams Middle School. Parents and students are welcome!
Summer Music for JAMS!
Enrollment for Summer Music is now live! All incoming 6th grade JAMS instrumentalists are highly encouraged to sign up for Summer Music. Students will have an opportunity to get to know each other, strengthen musical skills, get to know JAMS music teacher Deb Schaaf, and have fun! More information
Washington Middle School Teacher Leader, Beverly Zanetti, joins JAMS
Ms. Beverly Zanetti has accepted the Literacy Teacher Leader position for Jane Addams Middle School. Beverly is joining us from Washington Middle School. Bev's 17 years of experience with middle school students ranging from general education to APP is a remarkable asset as we develop our Language Arts and Social Studies program at JAMS.
Two more informational meetings next week.
JAMS Information Evening, Hamilton Middle School, Tuesday, March 4, 7-8pm
Hamilton Middle School. This evening is specifically designed to answer questions about APP at Jane Addams Middle School.
New APP Parent Information Night, JAMS, March 5, 7-8pm
This evening is designed specifically for families that will enter JAMS and the APP program for the first time at the middle level.
In addition, families and students can learn more at jams.www.seattleschools.org and www.jamsptsa.org
JAMS mascot survey
Parents, please let your sons and daughters answer this survey! Students only!!!!
Thanks! Ms. Montgomery
JAMS Music Leader Announced
We are incredibly pleased to announce that Debra Schaaf has accepted the position as the Music Leader for Jane Addams Middle School.
Debra has built the instrumental music programs at both Orca k-8 as well as Aki Middle School. She has developed significant arts partnerships for students throughout the district and also serves as lead teacher through our Career ladder teacher program. With nearly 20 years of music expereince, Debra has the right skill set to lead the development of the Jane Addams Middle School music program. She will be a great addition to the great cadre of music educators in North Seattle. Please join us in welcoming her as the first Jane Addams Middle School teacher!
December 18 Presentation
We've posted the materials from the December 18 meeting. Thanks for the great attendance and positive energy!
December 11, 2013 Community Meeting Materials
Parent Design Team Application